NO PET MILLSGuarantee
CERTIFIED BREEDERSReputable and Licensed
HEALTH GUARANTEEVeterinary Checks
PEDIGREE REGISTRATIONFull Documentation
HEALTH INSURANCE5 Weeks
SAFEST PET TRAVELVeterinary Approved
The Devon Rex is a relative newcomer to the cat world, famed for its unique pixie-like appearance. This breed is loved for its affectionate, playful temperament.
Meet the Devon Rex
The Devon Rex is a unique-looking breed with an elegant frame, long slender limbs with small oval paws, and a broad chest. These cats have broad, wedge-shaped heads, large round eyes, and huge bat-like ears that are set wide apart on the head. Their tails are long, slim, and tapered at the tip. Despite their slim appearance, these cats are surprisingly muscular and feel much heavier than they appear. The Devon Rex is considered to be a small-medium sized breed, with males reaching weights of up to 4.5kg. Females tend to be a bit smaller, reaching weights of up to 3.6kg.
The whiskers and eyebrows of the Devon Rex breed have been nicknamed ‘designer stubble’ due to their crinkled appearance. Compared to most other cat breeds, the whiskers of Devon Rex cats are fairly brittle and have been known to break off on occasion.
When it comes to their coats, Devon Rex cats boast a short, close-lying layer of fine soft fur that sports subtle waves and curls along the whole body. These cats can come in a wide range of coat colours from solid varieties such as black, white and cinnamon, to patterned varieties including calico, tabby, and smoke colouring. The most common eye colour seen in the Devon Rex is blue, however, they can also come in aqua, yellow, gold, or amber.
Devon Rex Temperament
Devon Rex cats are highly agile and energetic so expect to find yours perched on top of your bookshelf, door frame, or some other previously un-explored spot! They are also known to enjoy riding on their owners' shoulders! If you are considering adding a Devon Rex to your family, you will need to ensure you provide him with plenty of opportunities to exercise such as cat posts, toys, and shelves of various heights. In addition, these cats are incredibly intelligent and enjoy learning new tricks and games with the family. They also readily accept a leash and harness as long as they have been introduced to them from a young age. Despite their high energy levels, these cats are extremely people orientated so they are at their happiest when they are interacting with their beloved family members, including young children. Once all their energy is spent, they will happily curl up on your lap or even join you under the covers at bedtime!
Devon Rex cats are known to be the clowns of the cat world that will keep you entertained with their silly antics and crazy behaviours! They thrive in busy households and generally get along well with other cats and cat-friendly dogs as long as they have been introduced slowly.
10 Reasons to add a Devon Rex to your Family
1. They are devoted: Devon Rex cats live for human companionship and enjoy interacting with people of all ages. These cats will want to be with you every moment of the day!
2. They are playful: These high-energy cats love a good play session, whether it's playing fetch or exploring the top of your wardrobe. You will never be bored with a Devon Rex around!
3. They are low maintenance on the grooming front: These cats have a very fine, close-lying coat which means they only need a short brush once a week.
4. They are not particularly vocal: Devon Rex cats are not known to be very loud. They will chirp when they want something but they are much less vocal than many other cat breeds.
5. They get along well with children: Devon Rex cats are known to love the attention and interaction they get from children of all ages, which makes them the perfect choice for a family pet.
6. They get along well with other pets: Devon Rex cats generally get along well with other cats and dogs. Even high-energy dogs don’t bother the Devon Rex, in fact, they are more likely to enjoy the opportunity to play! Saying that, it is important to supervise all interactions between pets to ensure there are no mishaps.
7. They are social: These cats will want to be the centre of any gathering! They will quite happily entertain the crowd with their silly antics and will lap up the attention from family members and strangers alike.
8. They are highly intelligent: These cats love the mental stimulation that comes with puzzle feeders, clicker training, and learning new commands. So be sure to offer these clever cats plenty of opportunities to exercise their brilliant minds.
9. Their clown-like personalities: If you ask a Devon Rex owner about their cats' personality, you are likely to hear that they are entertaining, fun-loving, mischievous, and incredibly silly! This makes them great fun to be around.
10. Their pixie-like appearance: These cats have a very unique appearance that has caused them grow in popularity in recent years. Their huge engaging eyes and pointed elf-like ears will have you falling in love in no time!
Best Homes for Devon Rex
Devon Rex cats are highly energetic so you must ensure you have the time and space to allow them to exercise all of their needs effectively. They are also incredibly people orientated so they need to be in a home where someone is around for most of the day. If these cats are left alone for long periods, they tend to become destructive and stressed. These cats do best in large busy households where there is always something going on and where they can receive the attention and love they crave!