NO PET MILLSGuarantee
CERTIFIED BREEDERSReputable and Licensed
HEALTH GUARANTEEVeterinary Checks
PEDIGREE REGISTRATIONFull Documentation
HEALTH INSURANCE5 Weeks
SAFEST PET TRAVELVeterinary Approved
The Donskoy is a hairless cat breed originating from Russia. Also known as the Don Sphynx or Russian Hairless, the Donskoy is a new breed, recognized by the World Cat Federation in 1997 and by The International Cat Association (TICA) in 2005. Although they look similar, the Donskoy is not related to the well-known Sphynx cat. Still, they display some identical personality traits, such as high energy levels and incredible loyalty.
These intelligent and unique felines are super loving. Still, they require a high level of maintenance due to their hairlessness and energetic nature. Therefore, they may not be the right breed for everyone, but they make a devoted and affectionate lifelong friend for the right person.
Meet the Donskoy cat
The Donskoy is a medium-sized cat that reaches a weight of 6 to 12 pounds at full maturity. Without any fur, you will instantly see how muscular and robust this cat is. Their skin feels soft to the touch and often has a wrinkled appearance. They have long legs and distinctive webbed toes. In addition, they have small wedge-shaped heads with large ears and almond-shaped eyes.
Donskoy's hairlessness is due to a dominant mutation, not a recessive mutation like the Sphynx. Even so, their skin requires as much care as it is prone to oil buildup. However, be careful as over-bathing them can exacerbate the problem. So, it's best to bathe them once a month only, then regularly wipe their skin with a damp cloth.
Their lack of fur also means that Donskoy cats cannot regulate their temperature as well as other cats can, and their skin can burn in the sun. Because of this, you should keep your Donskoy as an indoor-only cat. Thankfully, they are not prone to any breed-specific genetic diseases. However, they are susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease, so regular brushing is essential. When well-cared for, your Donskoy should live for 12 to 15 years.
The temperament of a Donskoy
The Donskoy is a smart cat with plenty of curiosity and playfulness. They love to play a wide variety of games, and you'll often see them making up activities, too. They need lots of mental stimulation and an enriched environment to keep their intelligent minds active. Thus, things like puzzle feeders will keep them busy when you're not available.
Moreover, as you can imagine, Donskoys love to play interactively with their owners and are incredibly receptive to learning tricks. What's more, many Donskoy owners have reported playing hide-and-seek and fetch with these hairless kitties.
They are social felines who typically act friendly to everyone they meet and are exceptionally affectionate with their humans. They love to be involved in family activities and are incredible entertainers with animated personalities.
Donskoy cats are more active than many other breeds, but they love to curl up with their owners when they sleep. They have a calm, gentle nature and a soft heart, but this means they get super lonely when left alone.
10 reasons to add a Donskoy to your family
- They are incredibly loyal - Perhaps the best personality trait of the Donskoy is their extreme devotion to their owners. Like a dog, your Donskoy will follow you around and stay by your side, whatever you do.
- They make a great family pet - Although they can do well with a sole owner, Donskoys are an excellent choice for families. They are great with children of all ages and love busy, social homes.
- They are friendly to everyone - They are confident and social cats that act friendly towards strangers and warmly welcome guests.
- You can play all sorts of games with them - Because of their high intelligence, you can play many different games with a Donskey and teach them to perform tricks and retrieve balls.
- They don't shed - If you have allergies or don't like your bed and sofa covered in cat hair, a Donskoy is the best feline for you.
- They are soft and wrinkly - The Donskoy's hairless skin adds to their beauty rather than takes away from it. You'll be surprised at how soft they are, and their wrinkles give them a uniquely cute appearance.
- They have webbed feet - Another distinctive aspect of their appearance is their intriguing webbed feet. You will not find this on any furry kitty.
- You can dress them in sweaters - Donskoys are one of the only cats that you dress in clothing in cold climates. They struggle to keep themselves warm in the winter without a fur coat, but you can buy them cute hoodies and jumpers instead.
- They are unique - Finally, if you're looking for a cat that's different from standard moggies, a Donskoy is it.
Best homes for a Donskoy cat
Donskoy cats love humans of all ages and are very gentle with young children. They thrive in a home where they can be the centre of attention. They need an owner who is around often, so someone who works from home is an ideal Donskoy parent, as is a household where everyone is working different shifts.
Donskoys are also best for experienced cat owners as they are pretty needy and have high energy levels. Thus, if you're looking for a pet cat for the first time, you may find a Donskoy a little overwhelming.
Despite their need for constant attention, they will peacefully coexist in a house with a dog, providing they get as much attention as their canine companion, that is. However, they are not the best breed if you're looking for a friend for another feline as they are not always the friendliest around their kind.