NO PET MILLSGuarantee
CERTIFIED BREEDERSReputable and Licensed
HEALTH GUARANTEEVeterinary Checks
PEDIGREE REGISTRATIONFull Documentation
HEALTH INSURANCE5 Weeks
SAFEST PET TRAVELVeterinary Approved
The Exotic Shorthair was developed in the 1950s as a shorthaired version of the much-loved Persian Breed. They came about when cat breeder Carolyn Bussey attempted to create a brown Persian cat by crossing a regular Persian with a Burmese, before the gene pool widened to include other shorthaired breeds including the Russian Blue. The resulting Exotic Shorthair cats are known for their affectionate natures and endearing kitten-like appearance.
Meet the Exotic Longhair
The Exotic Shorthair is a stocky and heavy-boned medium to large cat breed with a large rounded head, full cheeks, small wide-set ears, and large round eyes. Their bodies are relatively short and compact, with strong thick legs and rounded paws with tufts of fur on the toes. Their tails are short and fluffy. Due to their Persian ancestry, these cats are brachycephalic which means they have flat faces and short noses which can predispose them to developing respiratory issues later in life. However, they are loved by families around the world for their teddy bear-like appearance and affectionate natures.
Exotic Shorthair cats boast a plush short to medium-length coat with a dense undercoat, which makes them easier to groom than their longhaired Persian cousins. These cats come in a wide variety of colours including black, silver, bi-colour, white, and calico (tortoiseshell and white). Their eye colour can also vary but are most commonly gold, green, or blue.
These cats are medium-large felines, weighing anything from 3-4.5kg.
Exotic Shorthair Temperament
The Exotic Shorthair is affectionately known as the ‘lazy man’s Persian’ due to its Persian-like sweet temperament and short easy to care for coat. These cats have become more popular in recent years for their gentle, easy-going personalities which makes them the perfect choice for families. Exotic Shorthairs are not as active as many other breeds and have an independent side which means they are more than happy to entertain themselves when their owners are not around. However, it is still important to keep their mind stimulated with puzzle feeders, games, and interactive toys. These cats are known to be incredibly devoted to their owners and will happily curl up on your lap when you are watching TV or even curl up on your shoulder when they are feeling a bit more adventurous!
Interestingly, males tend to be cuddlier than their female counterparts. Females generally have a more independent streak. Exotic Shorthairs are known to get along well with children due to their placid natures. For the same reason, they also generally get along well with other cats and cat-friendly dogs. They can be nervous around strangers at first but will soon warm up to them if they are given the time to investigate on their own terms.
10 Reasons to add an Exotic Shorthair to your Family
1. Their soft voices: Exotic Shorthairs are not known to be overly vocal cats. They make sweet, soft vocalisations when they want something, which just adds to their endearing personalities!
2. They are cuddly: These cats love attention and fuss from their beloved owners, whether that is spending time chilling with you on the sofa, or running around after a lazer pointer. They have even been known to follow their owners around the house looking for affection.
3. They are calm and easy-going: These cats are incredibly peaceful animals that are content with just being around their humans. Their docile nature makes them the ideal pet for a variety of home environments
4. They are child-friendly: Exotic Shorthairs get along well with children of all ages. However, it is important for children to understand that animals must be treated with respect to prevent any mishaps.
5. They are pet-friendly: The Exotic Shorthair gets along well with other pets too, including other cats. They will also get along well with dogs however they may be a bit resistant towards an overactive puppy due to their relaxed outlook on life!
6. Their cute appearance: These cats are just adorable with their flat faces and stocky frames. They are often referred to as being the teddy bears of the cat world who are always up for a bit of love and affection.
7. They are easy-going: These cats do not demand too much from their owners. Instead, they interact with a sweet, affectionate demeanour – they just want to be loved! They can be a little lazy so they do not require long daily play sessions. However, it is still important to engage them in play every so often to prevent issues with obesity.
8. They are independent: Although Exotic Shorthairs love attention, they are also happy to entertain themselves when no one else is around. This makes them the perfect choice for families who have to leave the house for work or other commitments.
9. They are loyal: Once an Exotic Shorthair gets to know you, they will be devoted for life! These cats form strong bonds with their owners and will enjoy lavishing you with love.
10. They are lap cats: If you are looking for a chilled feline companion that will curl up on you at the end of a long day, then the Exotic Shorthair is the breed for you! These cats will not hesitate to jump up on your lap for a cuddle!
Best Homes for Exotic Shorthairs
Exotic Shorthair cats are affectionate and gentle, as well as being independent. This means they are suitable for a range of living environments from apartments to large houses. They are loved by families however they are also suitable for working couples or individuals that are looking for a loving feline to greet them when they return home from work. These cats get along well with children and other pets. However. they can be a little wary around strangers so they are not best suited for busy households that have regular visitors.
It is worth bearing in mind that these cats can easily overheat due to the brachycephalic nature of this breed. So, make sure you keep an eye on the temperature in your house in hot weather.