NO PET MILLSGuarantee
CERTIFIED BREEDERSReputable and Licensed
HEALTH GUARANTEEVeterinary Checks
PEDIGREE REGISTRATIONFull Documentation
HEALTH INSURANCE5 Weeks
SAFEST PET TRAVELVeterinary Approved
The elegant Russian Blue cat breed is most known for its shimmery blue-silver coat, bright green eyes, and sweet nature. They originated from the Archangel (Arkhangelsk) Island in Russia, where Russian czars and royals adored them.
From what we know, Russian Blue cats arrived in Great Britain and Northern Europe in the 1860s, thanks to sailors bringing them back from the Archangel port. Therefore, Russian Blues have been around for a while and are not a rare breed but remain a reasonably expensive cat to buy, nonetheless.
Meet the Russian Blue
If you’ve ever seen a Russian Blue cat, you’ve surely marvelled at their shimmery silvery-blue coat. This short-haired breed has a double coat, with the undercoat being soft and downy. The strands of hair found in the overcoat have silver tips, which produce this shimmering effect.
A Russian Blue’s coat is thick, plush, and feels soft to the touch. Their coat does not have any patterning, although as kittens, they may appear to have faint stripes, which will vanish as they get older.
Another interesting fact about Russian Blue kittens is that they are one of the few breeds not born with blue eyes. Instead, Russian Blue kittens will have yellow eyes with green rims. As they get older, these will slowly transition to a full vivid green shade.
Russian Blues are medium-size cats with an average weight. Males tend to be bigger, weighing 10 to 12 pounds when fully grown, compared to 7 to 10 pounds for females. They have a long, slender body with delicate bones but a muscular form. Moreover, their thick fur makes them appear more robust than they are.
Russian Blues get their elegant look from their faces, with a broad forehead, straight nose and large ears. In terms of looks, they are comparable to the blue-coated British Shorthair. However, one key difference is that this breed comes in various colours, whereas Russian Blues only come in one.
A Russian Blue’s temperament
Russian Blues have a charming and loving nature and enjoy following their owners around the house. Some Russian Blues may pick a “favourite” human, but they show affection to everyone in the home nonetheless.
They are a calm cat breed and demonstrate a favourable balance between social interactions and alone time. However, one thing to note about these gentle felines is that they are not the most confident or extroverted cats. They love to spend time with their family unit, but they will likely be shy around visitors or unfamiliar people.
As kittens, Russian Blues can be very playful. However, as they grow up, their energy levels decrease. However, because they are extremely intelligent, they still require regular physical and mental stimulation. To keep them satisfied, you’ll need to provide plenty of toys, including some challenging puzzle games to work their wise minds. They also have a strong hunting nature, so they love felt mice and feather birds on sticks that they can chase and catch.
Despite their gentle temperament and independence, Russian Blues can be very vocal. Their voice is undoubtedly their preferred way to communicate their needs to their owners. Therefore, whenever your Russian Blue is hungry or bored, you will know about it!
Be mindful of how much you feed your Russian Blue, too, as they are known to be big eaters and may ask for seconds. So you might have to be strict in portion sizes and treats to keep them at a healthy weight.
10 Reasons to add a Russian Blue to your family
- They will shower you with love - You will never feel deprived of love and affection with a Russian Blue in the home as they love to follow their owners around, greet them at the door, and curl up with them in bed.
- They behave very well - A Russian Blue will not create havoc in the home like some more energetic breeds and do not act needy either.
- They are good for people with allergies - Russian Blues don’t shed much, and they produce low levels of the Fel D1 that triggers allergic reactions, making them a good breed if you’re allergic.
- They require minimal grooming - You’ll only need to brush your Russian Blue’s coat once a week, along with brushing their teeth once or twice a week too.
- Genetic health problems are rare - Most Russian Blues don’t have many health issues throughout their life as they are not prone to any genetic illness or diseases.
- They mature slowly - Fully grown Russian Blue cats will be very relaxed and peaceful felines. But, while young, they will have a curious and playful nature. It takes 3 to 4 years for them to lose all their adolescent traits, so they stay kitten-like for a long time.
- They are very smart - Russian Blues are clever enough to learn tricks and be trained. They have an excellent memory, so teaching them does not take too long either.
- They are independent enough to stay home alone - Russian Blues appreciate alone time so you will have no problem leaving them alone when you go to work.
- They are sun worshippers - If you like to sunbathe, a Russian Blue will make your perfect companion. They often seek out the sunniest spots to lay in and adore the sensation of warmth on their fur.
- They are beautiful - Lastly, you cannot deny that a Russian Blue is aesthetically stunning and regal-like in looks and mannerism.
Best homes for Russian Blue cats
Russian Blues are reserved kitties who don’t adapt well to change. Because of this, they do best in quiet homes without many visitors coming and going. They are also a good option for cat owners who work out of the house as they will happily stay alone during the day. However, if this is the case, be sure to spend quality time with them in the evening.
Russian Blues can coexist well with other pets, including dogs. However, they will get along best with other cats with similar temperaments. They are also great around children, providing they play gently. They do startle easily, though, so they make a better feline companion for older children than younger ones.
Frequently Asked Questions About Russian Blue Kittens
What Clients Say About Our Russian Blue Kittens
I though that getting a cat online is risky but ordering one was the best decision! After doing my research, The Pedigree Paws seem to be the best options I had. I contacted them by email and told them what I was looking for and Lisa came back to me with choices which I really appreciate. They made me feel like I was getting the kitten in person, sent me pictures and videos and gave me all detailed info. After 2 weeks, I had the most beautiful Russian Blue Cat right in front of my door!!!! THIS TEAM IS AMAZING. Thank you!
I believe in giving the credit where the credit is due, and The Pedigree Paws deserved this! They exceeded my expectation. The cat I got from them is just exactly what I was looking for. I highly recommend them.
Great job, The Pedigree Paws! The customer service is excellent! All my questions were answered. They help me select the right breed and the Russian Blue kitten, Bella for me and my family. Even after the delivery, they were there to assist me.
I had a wonderful time with The Pedigree Paws. The whole experience was great, and the service is excellent. Thanks for sharing all the information that I need for my Loki. The process was smooth and very easy! I will surely recommend you to my friends and Family!
The team is professional and very passionate. They know what their saying and would help you understand each breed so you can pick the breed that suits you. The delivery is excellent, too. I never had any problem the entire process. Suzy is just perfect!
I am a first-time owner of a cat and was a bit skeptical in getting one online. The team from The Pedigree Paws was very helpful and understanding of my concerns. Sarah really helped me and was very patient and informative the whole time. All my questions were answered, and she never made me feel like I don’t know anything about cats, I really appreciate that she was very easy to reach out. And even after I got my Russian Blue, she were still there when I have questions. If you are thinking about getting a kitten from them, don’t hesitate!
Thanks to The Pedigree Paws for being excellent in providing the best customer service so far. I have been reaching out to others and I ended up with The Pedigree Paws. I like how they value their cats. And they really take their time in understanding their customer’s needs. They sent me pictures every now and then and gave updates all the time. The delivery of Coco was easy and painless. RECOMMENDED!!