NO PET MILLSGuarantee
CERTIFIED BREEDERSReputable and Licensed
HEALTH GUARANTEEVeterinary Checks
PEDIGREE REGISTRATIONFull Documentation
HEALTH INSURANCE5 Weeks
SAFEST PET TRAVELVeterinary Approved
The short coat Chihuahua is one of the oldest naturally occurring dog breeds on the planet. These intelligent, affectionate dogs are believed to be the descendants of Techichi dogs, which were the canine companions of the Ancient Mexican civilisation known as Toltec. Today, short-haired Chihuahuas are loved for their playful natures and adorable, petite appearance.
Meet the Smooth Coat Chihuahua
The Chihuahua (short coat) is a small, stocky dog with a rounded skull (defined as ‘apple head’ or ‘apple-dome’ by dog breed registries), short muscular legs, and large erect ears that sit high on the head. Chihuahua’s can also have deer-shaped heads however, the apple shape is preferred under the Kennel Club breed standard. Interestingly, ‘apple head’ Chihuahua’s are the only dogs born with incomplete skulls, as they have soft areas (also known as Moleras) where the bones have not fully fused together. Short-haired Chihuahua’s are slightly longer than they are tall, and have medium-length tails that sit high up on the back. These dogs also have large rounded eyes that are usually dark in colour, and short, pointed muzzles with well-defined jawlines. They tend to hold their necks slightly arched and their lean shoulders sit well back on the body, with their front legs positioned well under the chest. This allows for a wide range of movement and flexibility.
A short-haired Chihuahua’s coat is smooth and lies close to the body. Coats can come in a range of colours including chocolate, blue sable, cream, tri-colour, and white.
The short-haired Chihuahua is considered to be the smallest dog breed in the world, with a maximum weight of 2.7kg and reaching heights of no more than 23cm.
Chihuahua Temperament (Short Coat)
The short-haired Chihuahua is a big personality in a small package! They are known to be highly devoted to their owners but can become slightly aggressive and overprotective if they are not trained properly from a young age. They are fast, agile, and alert little dogs, that have no problem standing up for themselves when they need to. These dogs do not realise they are small! Short-haired Chihuahua’s love to play games such as fetch and are generally easy to train due to their high intelligence. They will happily curl up on the laps of their favourite people on occasion however, they are not considered to be lapdogs. Short-haired Chihuahua’s are rambunctious and energetic so they need plenty of stimulation to remain happy.
Short-haired Chihuahua’s can be nervous around strangers and new environments, often resorting to defensive tactics when they feel uneasy. But with appropriate training and commitment from their owners, these spirited little dogs can become lifelong affectionate companions. They generally get along well with other dogs as long as they have been introduced slowly. However, they may not be suitable for households with shy cat breeds or other small companion animals that may not be able to handle a Chihuahua’s bouncy temperament! Short-haired Chihuahua’s love the attention they receive from older children but you must be careful with young children as Chihuahua’s have been known to lash out when play gets too rough.
10 Reasons to Add a Short-haired Chihuahua to your Family
1. They are devoted companions: Short-haired Chihuahua’s love the attention they receive from their owners, whether that’s regular play sessions or a bit of fussing. They form incredibly strong bonds with their families and are known to be very loving to their favourite people.
2. Their clown-like personalities: Short-haired Chihuahua’s are great fun to be around! They love to dive under the bed sheets with you and dash up and down the hallway licking everything in sight! They have even been known to dance on their back legs!
3. Their high intelligence: Short-haired Chihuahua’s are smart dogs so they generally enjoy the mental stimulation that comes with clicker training or learning commands. However, bear in mind that these dogs also have a bit of a stubborn streak!
4. They are low maintenance on the grooming front: These dogs have short, close-lying coats which makes them easy to groom. A brush once a week is suitable for this breed and they shouldn’t need bathing more than once a month.
5. Their adorable appearance: These dogs have a very sweet and endearing look, with their large pointy ears, short stocky frame, and large round eyes that will have you melting at their cuteness.
6. They don’t require long walks: Due to their small frame and short legs, short-haired Chihuahua’s do not need much exercise. A one-hour walk once a day is enough for these dogs.
7. They are interactive: These dogs love to play games with the family and enjoy receiving attention at any time of day!
8. They get along well with older children: Short-haired Chihuahua’s make great pets for families with older children as they enjoy playing games, and they will keep your kids entertained with their silly antics!
9. They are adaptable: These dogs are known to adapt well to a range of environments and lifestyles. Their small size also makes them the perfect pet option for people who live in small apartments.
10. They are protective: These dogs may be small but they are also fiercely protective of their loved ones. You can be certain that your short-haired Chihuahua will protect you from any potential dangers! Just ensure you train him properly to prevent any issues from arising.
Best Homes for Short-haired Chihuahuas
Short-haired Chihuahuas adapt well to a range of home environments from large houses to small apartments. However, due to their highly devoted natures, they do not do well when left alone for long periods. For this reason, they are best suited to households where someone is home for most of the day, otherwise, they may get lonely and become destructive. These dogs do well with older children but are not considered suitable for families with young children as they are known to have short-tempers. If you have the time to train your Chihuahua properly, you will certainly have a lifelong, affectionate companion that will keep you entertained and shower you with affection daily!